Friday 23 October 2015

The Joy of a Wrong Diagnosis

Recently a young woman was referred to my clinic. She complained of chest discomfort and occasionally breathlessness for the past 3 - 4 weeks. Her doctor arranged for a Chest Xray, which showed a large mass in the lung. A CT scan showed a massive lung tumour arising from the middle of the chest (mediastinum). She was referred to me with a possible diagnosis of advanced lung cancer.

We repeated arranged for a core biopsy of the large lung mass. And we waited. And waited. And waited. That was the hardest part. The waiting. The reason being that the diagnosis was hard to make.

Everyone was convinced that she had a bad lung cancer or a thymic cancer (both of which do not have a good prognosis).

Amazingly, the pathologist (who I hassled daily for a diagnosis) called me up to tell me that she had a variant of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

I was SO happy to be proven wrong, as she has a very good chance of a cure... not just getting better. But an actual cure.

So good to be proven wrong for the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment